Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Jumping the Shark

In my usual check on Afterellen.com I read an interesting article on a 'lesbian kiss of death' which related to a Sun-Times Article which related the lesbian kiss to jumping the shark. (referencing to Happy Days when the Fonz literally jumped a shark)

I found this very interesting because in a time when visibility for normative homosexual relationships seems so low the Lesbian Kiss is still such a winner as a ratings stunt. The Kiss in Question is for Desperate Housewives. I won't tell you who or the circumstances, I personally haven't seen the episode, because we are far behind the US here in New Zealand. Anyway what really irks me here is how a show like Desperate Housewives can create a certain positive portrayal of male homosexuality but lesbianism is still treated like a titillation. I am often made to feel like my sexuality is something that is cheap to be flaunted for people to gawk at. The media only enforces that women kissing each other is simply 'hot' and these characters rarely are involved in long term relationships with female partners, usually they're sleeping with men in the next episode. The Sun Times article seems to prove this point in the examples it lists to try and claim the point of the 'jump the shark'. Most of these women are straight, the other woman is a guest star, The OC is one example where there was a relationship, but this was a short lived one. Although I don't think this really reflects the end of the show or a jump the shark moment, I think any show that has sloppy enough plot and would resort to any stunt (Shark Jumping or Sweeps Kisses) is doomed to fail. These shows are usually already floundering, or there was some other moment that followed that was far worse. The example of The Simpsons simply makes me cringe as that show has been on a steady slide of quality for many years, the writing has long since moved into gags and buffoonery, long abandoning it's traditional narrative structure and more witty parody. These shows are grasping at straws, and apparently 'hot lesbian kiss' is one of them. Somehow controversial enough to be a good stunt but with a good dose of titillation.
I really wish there was more positive representation of lesbians on Television. There are always glimmers of hope here and there, I've been watching the third Season of the UK series Skins (E4) which has been very promising, although there has been some criticism of the show I do feel it is a fairly honest portrayal of being young and dealing with sexuality. The bright side here is the largely positive response that seems to come out of shows that are aimed at younger, often more niche audiences. I also think of South of Nowhere which largely centered on the character Spencer coming out and her subsequent relationship with on again off again girlfriend Ashley. Skins and South of Nowhere both develop honest relationships for the characters, both shows certainly have their weaknesses and I find the characters situations generally unrealistic, but the honesty behind the intentions is palpable, it comes through with characters and relationships people actually care about. Feedback on the E4 website for Skins has been outstandingly positive for the Naomi and Emily characters and the developing relationship.
American network television is all about the big ratings though, however Desperate Housewives has introduced a gay male couple to the picture perfect street. Building a sort of normality to the concept of monogamous homosexuals, although I find Lee a bit of a stereotype and some storylines a bit ... frustrating. Overall it does have positive visibility for homosexual men. So where the hell are the happy lesbians? Why are they all 'bisexual' but only tend to date men? Why are they always so preoccupied with pregnancy? (I remember our own Shortland Street using this tried lesbian storyline). The L word is now done and dusted, the 6th season and shuffled off (personally that show 'jumped the shark' a couple of seasons back, and it STARTED with lesbian kisses) so where is the new way for lesbians to see themselves as real people? America sure isn't churning out much. Still I'll be keeping an eye on Afterellen.com to keep me updated, after all I've been hearing some positive things coming up on the Aussie soap Home & Away. Shortland Street I must admit has been pretty good with it's lesbian visibility, Mia has been on the show for quite a few years now and for the most part is just part of the cast.

As for American TV, I'll keep watching Desperate Housewives even if it is just another American show exploiting my sexuality to try and boost its ratings. It's a guilty pleasure of mine. I also hope it hasn't jumped the shark, it hasn't always been on the ball but I've found it generally has a good balance of mystery, drama and comedy. Pity there isn't a nice dose of positive lesbian visibility in there, but I don't really expect that from the big rating American sitcoms.

No comments: